Forum GamingBolt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum GamingBolt

GamingBolt.com: Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC, PSP, Wii, DS, Forums, Community and more!

HomeLatest imagesGalleryHomeSearchRegisterLog in

Are gamers ready for sony's digital distribution ?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Rank 25 : Starfox
Admin

Bolt Points : 6915

Are gamers ready for sony's digital distribution ? Empty
PostSubject: Are gamers ready for sony's digital distribution ?   Are gamers ready for sony's digital distribution ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 10:54 am

Well with the paper like champ revolution of the new PSP Go, 1 analogue stick, same graphics as before; you’d be scratching your head to see what was the big deal over such a redesign. However this would be to ignore the biggest evolution for gaming, that Sony, through the PSP is bringing to gamers; namely a serious console that will focus its energy on digital distribution.

Now we all know about the iPhone, and the ‘games’ it offers, but by and large they are tarted up Mobile Phone games, anyone who has seen the recent Metal Gear Solid game on the iPhone will know how limited and neutered the game is when compared to the PSP’s offerings.

According to a report within August’s edition of PSM magazine, market research NPD group stated that more than 10% of all Playstation Gamers regularly download from the store. This growing popularity was also confirmed by Michael Patcher, industry analyst, who stated in the same article that downloaded games will account for 2% of sales, in 2009.

You’re probably thinking 2 percent? What’s all the fuss? Well that 2% is worth an estimated 400 million dollars! And with the percentage set to increase to 4% in 2010 then it’s a market that Sony can’t ignore.

But that’s good for Sony, but what about gamers? If there 2% of sales going on digital distribution then that also means that 98% of gamers aren’t choosing to opt for Sony’s brand of the future.

Hard Copies what’s wrong with that option? Is it so old fashioned to want a collection of games sitting on your shelf to proudly admire, irritates wives with and astonish friends by? At least when we shift to the next generation of consoles I can be assured that I can still use my games, are we seriously going to expect Sony to keep countless PSP games stored online for years and years? One word no, sure they will for the short term, but what will happen to gamers ‘collections’ once Sony has moved onto the next ‘new’ trend.

Almost contradictory to this message is Sony’s commitment to the older PSP 3000 and the stillborn format that we know and love as UMD, which seems almost like a fudge. Sony’s like the kid in the playground who pretends he has a Ferrari at home, but you always see him in a dodgy old three wheeler, if it wants to take a bold step forward then it should take one, rather than tip toeing cautiously trying to offer all things to all men.

Whether Sony has a genuine passion for a new format is especially questionable when you consider how hard it fought to establish Blu Ray, are we now to believe that the very same company has a motivation to move to digital distribution?

The PSP Go could be an immense success, but like a freak paraded in a Victorian Circus, they are testing to see the audiences’ reaction. If it pays off I’m sure Sony will herald it as a Joan of Arc style ‘Vision’ for the future, but it could just end up being a lab rat of the gaming world; only time will tell.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gamingbolt-community.com
wackyzaky7
Rank 14 : Ifrit
wackyzaky7

Bolt Points : 5657

PostSubject: Re: Are gamers ready for sony's digital distribution ?   Are gamers ready for sony's digital distribution ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 11:51 am

Decent read actually, although I haven't got much to contribute besides the fact that I agree with the last paragraph Razz
Back to top Go down
Christian Burrell
Rank 16 : Luigi
Christian Burrell

Bolt Points : 5842

PostSubject: Re: Are gamers ready for sony's digital distribution ?   Are gamers ready for sony's digital distribution ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 1:04 pm

sony has already stated that it doesn't want to move completely to digital distribution, especially not with the PS3. it's too easy for hackers to find a way to un-protect the game files and distribute the games freely. having said that, it's still a venture with little risk and possibly big returns in the realm of the PSP.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Rank 25 : Starfox
Admin

Bolt Points : 6915

PostSubject: Re: Are gamers ready for sony's digital distribution ?   Are gamers ready for sony's digital distribution ? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 9:59 am

Christian Burrell wrote:
sony has already stated that it doesn't want to move completely to digital distribution, especially not with the PS3. it's too easy for hackers to find a way to un-protect the game files and distribute the games freely. having said that, it's still a venture with little risk and possibly big returns in the realm of the PSP.

well digital downloads on the psp was long started by the hackers, sony are only gng to loose in this!
Back to top Go down
http://www.gamingbolt-community.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are gamers ready for sony's digital distribution ?   Are gamers ready for sony's digital distribution ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are gamers ready for sony's digital distribution ?
Page 1 of 1